Are you a novelist with the next Pulitzer brewing in your head but not a sentence written?

Are you the next Nobel Prize-winning poet incensed with iambs and tussling with trochees?

Are you an aspiring journalist getting blown away by the beat-writer blues?

Are you an esteemed essayist on your ninth draft of your introduction?

Are you a busy blogger who destroys drafts daily with a large following posting your stuff on Twitter?

This topic is for you.

But first, I provide here a generous bombardment of motivation. Choose one of your liking, print it and place it in the most conspicuous locations everywhere you frequent.

It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.
- Ernest Hemingway

It is perfectly okay to write garbage—as long as you edit brilliantly.
- C. J. Cherryh

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything.
- Philip K. Dick

The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this notion rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn’t require any.
- Russell Baker

People on the outside think there’s something magical about writing, that you go up in the attic at midnight and cast the bones and come down in the morning with a story, but it isn’t like that. You sit in back of the typewriter and you work, and that’s all there is to it.
- Harlan Ellison

Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book. If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for?
-Alice Walker

People do not deserve to have good writing, they are so pleased with bad.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.
-Toni Morrison

I went for years not finishing anything. Because, of course, when you finish something you can be judged.
- Erica Jong

I can’t write five words but that I change seven.
- Dorothy Parker

I felt that I had to write. Even if I had never been published, I knew that I would go on writing, enjoying it and experiencing the challenge.
-Gwendolyn Brooks

Don’t try to figure out what other people want to hear from you; figure out what you have to say. It’s the one and only thing you have to offer.
- Barbara Kingsolver

There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
Some critics will write 'Maya Angelou is a natural writer' - which is right after being a natural heart surgeon.
-Maya Angelou

Writing is its own reward.
- Henry Miller

The work never matches the dream of perfection the artist has to start with.
Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it’s the only way you can do anything really good.
- William Faulkner

It is no mistake that great writers are also voracious readers, but one can be a voracious reader yet struggle with writing. The factors for this vary from limited time to lacking inspiration to feeling inadequate to perfectionism.

Personally I’m proud to be published academically in the same book as one Henry Louis Gates Jr., but not proud of what I produced to be published. The proportion of fun derived from giving people intellectual smack-downs in esoteric academise is anemic compared to the fun I had producing stuff originally for my personal pleasure—drafts of characters for some work(s) of fiction that I have no real plans to finish, and writing about video games.

When a quarter-life crisis forced me out of the academia, I felt like a man without a country when I entered into “the real world.” Americans are watchers of TV and YouTube rather than readers and writers. Anyone with a FB account has probably resisted the urge to punch their monitor every time they see someone mistake “their” for “there.”

I called myself starting a blog, not caring if anyone read it or not, because I had to write again to relieve the pressure of the ideas building in my head before I suffered from cerebral edema. Fortunately, a HS friend of mine who became a journalist joined a website. He contributed to their comics section on a volunteer basis. I asked if they could use someone writing on video games. They agreed. That’s when I began my hunger for views.

I have since left that site and joined another that is a more agreeable fit. Still, it has its own set of problems. One of them being that there are a couple of creative writers there, but nobody formally trained. Because of this, I have trouble getting anyone to provide feedback for my stuff. Intimidated? Un(der)qualified? Apathetic? I do not know, but it’s frustrating when your peers are not acting like peers. I have gone back through a few of my works and noticed poor word choices or redundancies.

Everyone takes their writing personally, because it is difficult to sever the connection between work and self. My writing is a part of me, so a criticism of my writing is a criticism of me. Thus, there is the conundrum of making ourselves vulnerable to criticism so that we can get better.

For any of you writers out there, if you need a reader, suggestions, motivation for writing, or just want to get some clicks for your creations, I invite you to publish or link up your stuff here! If nobody else cares, know that *I* will.

Some tangible examples of things I would personally like to work on:

1. Eliminating reliance on constructions of being—am, is, are, was, were, has, have, and had

To: This game exudes excellence.

Rarely do I encounter an occasion where a “being” verb is stronger than a(n) (in)transitive.

2. Expand vocabulary. Who doesn’t want to do this—learn new words? The key here is to sound intelligent, but not like a tryhard who just learned a word like “anachronism” and wants to use it where it doesn’t belong. The other part of this is completely eliminating colloquial adverbs such as “quite” and “extremely.”

3.eliminate passive voice. I'm generally good at this, but like #1, it's a struggle.

I feel that that the digital Thesauruses are inadequate. If I try to find a better word for “big,” none of them will ever suggest “voluminous,” so I have to keep my own personal Thesaurus open in a separate document as I write. Sometimes I take a few words out of it and put it on a sticky note on my desktop: “Make sure you use these ONCE in this essay!” it says.

Do Yo Thang!

(this topic is inspired by IWMTB19, who posted three of his writings in another thread)